This document will be updated on Sunday and Thursday each week. It can take up to 72 hours for fulfilled requirements to show in the system. As a reminder, background checks, Safe Sport and age modules must be completed before participating in team activities. Coaches not cleared before December 31st will be unable to coach for the remainder of the season.
2020/2021 Coach Registration will be open August 1, 2020
All potential OMGHA coaches (head and assistant coaches) must complete the OMGHA application process, as follows:
1. USA Hockey Registration - Complete your USA Hockey registration (required annually) on-line by CLICKING HERE.
2. OMGHA Coach Registration - After you have completed your USA Hockey registration, please complete the on-line registration with OMGHA. Click on the maroon link above to get started (will be available Aug.1). Please also email AACE@OMGHA.com to notify OMGHA of your interest in a head coaching position and at what level you’re interested. You may be asked to interview for your specific position of interest. Must be complete prior to being placed on a team roster.
3. USA Hockey CEP - Ensure your Coach Education Program or CEP level certification is up to date. For information on the CEP requirements please go to the USA Hockey website. If your CEP is expiring by 12/31/2020 then you will need to find the next available class on-line and register and complete the class prior to 12/31/2020. You must be eligible or show you have registered for a class prior to being selected as a coach for the 2020-2021 season.
NEW: On June 4, 2020, USA Hockey announced that it will conduct its Level 1-4 coaching certification clinics virtually until it is deemed safe to host large group gatherings. Scroll down on this page for a listing of virtual clinics.
A new temporary card is being introduced as a flexible option for coaches to maintain their certification if they are unable to attend virtual coaching clinics due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
4. USA Hockey Age/Gender Module - Complete the USA Hockey age/gender specific module on-line based on the level you are coaching (each level). If you have completed an on-line specific age module in a previous year you do not have to re-take that module. This needs to be completed prior to participating as a coach or being added to a roster.
5. Background Check – The background check is to be completed online by all head and assistant coaches, volunteers, managers and board members.
If you were screened after April 1, 2019 for the 2019-20 season, your screen is valid for the 2020-21 season, and you will not need to be screened under the new system until next season. If your most recent screen is from before to April 1, 2019, you will need to be screened under the new system, in order to participate in the upcoming season.
Click HERE to be re-directed to the Minnesota Hockey Coaches Screening. Must be complete prior to being placed on a team roster.
6. SAFESPORT –SafeSport Training is required for all adults that have regular contact with or authority over minors this includes Head and Assistant Coaches, Managers, Locker Room Volunteers and Board Members. All online training needs to be completed prior to being placed on a roster as a coach. Players with birth year 2003 and older will also need to complete SafeSport. SafeSport is required every year
7. Concussion Training - All coaches must have a current concussion certificate from the last calendar year. This can be from any sport that you have participated in. If you took an age module last year or will be taking one this year it includes your concussion training so you do not to do anything further. If you do not have a current certificate you can take the course here. You will need to email your certificate and this completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org This must be complete prior to participating with the team.
8. Coaching Reimbursement (see below form)
***Important: Reimbursements will only be given for the current hockey season***
OMGHA reimburses parent coaches for the following coaching expenses:
1. USA/MN Hockey—Coach registration (If you need another copy of your USA/MN Hockey receipt, you can request one here: https://www.usahockeyregistration.com/duplicate_request_input.action)
2. CEP Course
3. Age Group Module video training
4. Background Check Fee
5. Traveling Coach Apparel (OMGHA approved jacket, pant, and hat, once every 3 years.) Limit 4 sets per team.
Please fill out a check request form and forward it and copies of the original receipts (not confirmations or orders) to Jason Price at email@example.com or place them in his box at the Osseo rink office.
Reimbursement checks will be sent in the mail at the end of January, following the finalization of rosters.
***All Non-Parent Coaches must be approved by Andy Hedlund (Coaching Director) at AACE@OMGHA.com prior to the season beginning to be reimbursed for non-parent coach expenses***
OMGHA reimburses non-parent coaches for the coaching expenses listed above and for travel expenses. Travel expenses are reimbursed within two weeks of submission. Please submit them right after a tournament. Request a non-parent coach packet from your level director or head coach for all the details.
ATTENTION: Coaches need to have a current CEP level certificate or have a CEP level class scheduled by tryout time to be considered for a coaching position.
1. A Student Coach must be registered under USA Hockey for the 2020-2021 season as a player.
2. A player between the ages of 13 and 17 who is currently properly registered with USA Hockey may serve as a student coach under the following circumstances:
a. Must attend a training session conducted by the local hockey association
b. Must always be under the supervision of a carded, screened coach during all practices, clinics, try-outs, games, and in the locker room.
c. May help out at practices, clinics, try-outs only. (May not play during scrimmages or games).
d. Must wear a helmet with full face shield, gloves, and skates while on the ice. Must wear helmet during games while on the bench.
e. May only work with players at least one full playing age level down (not at the same playing level).
f. Must provide a form indicating on what team he/she is participating as a student coach, and, if applicable, what team he/she is properly registered/rostered on as a player.
g. May not act as a head coach or assistant coach during practices or games.
3. Upon reaching the age of 18, the student coach must comply with all USA Hockey coaching and screening rules and regulations.
4. Please fill out the attached USA Hockey Student Coach Form if you are interested in being a student coach within OMGHA.
5. For more information go to USA Hockey Student Coach page.
The Helmet Rule for Coaches is now in effect and has been since Sept 1, 2006. The rule is a USA Hockey Rule and applies to ALL on ice Coaches at clinics, tryouts and practices. NO EXCEPTIONS. If ANY COACH does not have the helmet strapped,
USA Hockey insurance will be voided for the entire team